Go Fish

Granville Island
Vancouver, Canada

When travelling, there's nothing better than having an acquaintance in a city as it's easy to be mislead. So, when in Vancouver I ask my old travelling compadre: what's something classic, something I absolutely must eat while in Vancouver? And her abrupt reply is "Go Fish".

Thus, on a typically partly sunny/partly cloudy afternoon of hiking, we make our way over to Granville Island to try the infamous Go Fish. When seeing that this place is quite literally a shack, I immediately think: this can only be good. The line-up on a Saturday is about 30 minutes long, plus add another 30 minutes until your food is ready. But once again, this can only be good.

A fairly simple menu consisting of fish n' chips let's you choose what type of fish you'd like: Pacific halibut, cod, salmon and so on...

You'll also be able to find specials of the day, like a Qualicum Bay scallop sandwich or white fish tacos.

In order to be fair, I simply must order a couple of items, so I go for the classic cod fish n' chips and the fish taco's as well. I don't know if it was the waiting in line, the sunny day by the ocean or the fact that this place was just damn good, but this was the best piece of fried goodness I ever put in my mouth.

The cod was melt-in your mouth fresh, and not overly battered or overly greasy. The fish taco's were creative and just as fresh, with a nice kick to them. Truly just plain fun to eat. And yes, I did eat it all.

Go Fish is a must try if you're in Vancouver - the shack is quaint, the food is just plain good and if you get a nice seat on a bench looking over the ocean, you're all set.

No comments: