Jules Bistro

147 Spadina Avenue
Toronto, Ontario


If you asked a French person, they would probably compare that the term 'bistro' in France is relative to that of what we North American's call cafe's, or perhaps even diner's. If this is the case, then I really shouldn't be too harsh with Jules Bistro, as its character (not to mention food) suits its class.


Though the menu is composed of every authentic simple French dish you've ever heard of: croque monsieurs, omlettes, quiche, crepes, moules frites and salad nicoise, Jules just isn't able to capture the exquisitely simple but oh-so tasty flavours that the French are known for producing. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the food is really just bland.


My croque monsieur was delivered as what tasted like mozzarella cheese on bread - no bechamel, no oven roasted French ham, and let's be honest...I don't think anyone would believe that mozzarella is a French cheese. A steak frite entree is served with what's supposed to be ratatouille, but I would have to say that even Disney/Pixar's rat cooked up a better recipe..and he's a cartoon!


Although I don't honestly think Jules' food is bad, and in fact it may even be a reasonable place to stop for lunch - out of the way of the Queen Street West bustle, quiet ambience, and candles lit - I would never be able to direct you there if you actually wanted French food.

If Jules had named his establishment "Jules Eatery" or "Jules Diner", and you asked me to recommend you a place as such, then yes I might just slightly feel comfortable passing this place on.

No comments: