Marcel's Bistro

315 King Street West
Toronto, Ontario

Great location. True, Parisian decor. Efficient, Parisian wait staff. I certainly did feel like I was in a little bistro amid Paris.

I went to Marcel's for the 2008 Winterlicious festival, and I think I shouldn't judge this petite-Paris until I've savoured one of their a la carte specials. The reason being, considering I went with Marcel's classic French simplities for this festival - which were good - I think les plats would be even better on a regular day.

I loved that the restaurant owner had chosen French classics to put on the festival menu, such as escargots, pate, French mesculin salad and soup of the day, as that's what I love about France...the classic, light dishes that you love. The pate was actually one of the better I've tasted, it was incredibly light and not overpoweringly meaty. The simple salad, of course, came with a delightful Parisian dressing.

To follow, I had the pork tenderloin, which was - again in the usual Parisian style - simple but delicious. The meat was so damn tender! And the lovely jus it came with was perfect. My partner took the salmon which was also cooked well, but the highlight of that meal was - again in typical French fashion - the sauce.

The dessert cannot be knocked in any way. Perfect creme caramel, and a light but rich chocolate mousse cake. Delicious.

So, this is why I say, if it was simple, but good for the Winterlicious menu, I think that their to-order al la carte menu would be even better.

1 comment:

JD said...

Hi there,

I have to say, I agree with most of your reviews, however there are a couple restaurants you have listed which I haven't been to.

I do though, totally agree with the entry about Marcel's. I, too, visited for the Winterlicious menu and felt it could've been more.
Perhaps you're right about trying the regular menu.

Great website though!
JD